Peru Inca Heritage Tour
This compact itinerary offers you a glimpse into the once-mighty Inca Empire. After arriving in Lima to visit Peru’s current capital, we will fly to Cusco. At Cusco, the once-capital of the great Inca Empire, we will wander through the atmospheric cobblestone streets, and explore the ancient ruins of the nearby Sacred Valley. Our trip culminates at the mythical Machu Picchu.
- Day 1Arrival to LimaWelcome meal in the evening. If time permits, stroll along El Melacon, a stretch of parks situated along the cliffs above the Pacific Ocean. Accommodation is included this night.
- Day 2Historic LimaToday we'll head over to the historic district to get a peek into Lima's colonial past. We'll tour the Monastery of San Francisco and the fascinating Casa de Aliaga, said to be the oldest colonial mansion in all of South America.
- Day 3Flight to CuscoToday we'll fly to the ancient Inca capital, Cusco. It's situated at 3,399 meters (11,152 feet) above sea level! We'll check into our hotel and take it easy this day, acclimatizing to the elevation. Enjoy a welcome dinner in the evening.
- Day 4Historic CuscoExplore the old city of Cusco, a place of ancient beauty, Inca ruins, and colonial buildings. We'll visit the Cathedral as well as the extraordinary Qoricancha, or Sun Temple, an Inca religious site dedicated to their sun god. If time permits we'll drop into the Centro de Textiles for a traditional weaving demonstration and a chance to buy high-quality local goods.
- Day 5SacsayhuamanToday we'll be awed by the massive stones at Sacsayhuaman, the towering Incan fortress above Cusco city center. Enjoy an evening meal in the city.
- Day 6Sacred ValleyStop to visit llamas and alpacas en route to majestic Pisaq. These ruins are fascinating and offer towering views, a stepping stone to the finale at Machu Picchu. Following that, there will be a shopping stop at the market in Pisaq town. Further up the valley, we'll get off the tourist trail for a look a Tipon, another Inca site. Group dinner in Cusco.
- Day 7Sacred ValleyToday scenic drive will take us down the Sacred Valley to the village of Ollantaytambo. On the way we'll see two more sites and enjoy epic views. At Moray, we'll see terraced agricultural circles where the Inca conducted research. At Salineras, you'll witness the photogenic terraces where salt has been harvested for centuries.
- Day 8OllantaytamboTravel back in time at the extensive ruins of Ollantaytambo, which are left unfinished, as they were in the Inca period. In the afternoon we board the train which takes us to Machu Pichu Village. Enjoy dinner and rest up before an early morning excursion to Machu Picchu.
- Day 9Machu PicchuToday is what it's all about. We'll wake up before dawn and see the morning light upon the grandest of Inca ruins. Don't worry we'll spend the whole morning here so you can take it all in. Wander through the magnificent stone structures and listen to the stories they tell. Buffet lunch before we board the train back to Cusco.
- Day 10Flight to LimaThis is the last day of the tour. We'll provide transport to the airport in Cusco.
Packing List for Peru Inca Heritage trip (recommended)
- Weather in the high elevations of Peru in May/June can be cool at night and warm during the day. Pack accordingly.
- Cash (ATMs are not uncommon to find, but it’s always a good idea to carry some cash)
- Remember to pack light; we’ll be using public transportation and you have to carry your own bags.
- Cusco is situated at 3,399 meters (11,152 feet) above sea level, and we’ll be flying in from sea-level. Some people have difficulty at this elevation. Please pack altitude sickness medication if you think you’ll need it.
The accommodation will mostly be mid-range guesthouses, near or equivalent to 3-star hotels.
We will utilize a variety of transportation on this trip, from city bus in Lima to a domestic flight, to scenic trains, to private vans for touring the Sacred Valley.
This trip will be led by a local English-speaking guide.
Our trip provider: This is an exclusive Unquote Travel tour.
Cancellations and Refunds
If you must cancel your reservation for a tour and/or its extension, we will refund your payment, less the following fees per tour and/or extension:
|Days Prior to Trip Start Date||Trip Cancellation Fee Per Person|
|31 – 60 days||50% of trip price|
|0-30 days||100% of trip price|
Request a booking
Send us an email to secure a spot on this tour.