Korea DMZ Tour
Tours run continuously throughout the year. Please book at least 5 days in advance.
Follow the 1968 North Korean Spy Comando Route to experience Korea’s DMZ. This area, known as the Demilitarized Zone, is one of the most popular destinations for travelers in Korea and is available only with an organized tour. It is a place of high tension between two countries officially still at war. Expect to learn a lot about the attempted assassination of the South Korean president in 1968, meet South Korean soldiers, and look out over the river and mine-fields to the ‘Hermit Kingdom’ of North Korea.
- 1 guest $250 per person
- 2 guests $132 per person
- 3-4 guests $114 per person
- 5-9 guests $99 per person
- 10+ guests $76 per person
Tours runs continuously throughout the year. Please book at least 5 days in advance.
- Day 1The DMZ Spy TourThe Korean DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) has become a popular tourist destination for foreign tourists visiting Korea. We are happy to offer you a unique and intriguing story about the North Korean spy commandos infiltration route. You’ll soon see why this is much preferred compared to the typical half-day big bus tour. This full-day privately guided excursion from downtown Seoul to the DMZ, a border that divides North and South Korea, includes touring the Joint Security Area (JSA) and offers more stops than the ordinary big bus group tour which visits only the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel and JSA. Following the invasion route of 31 North Korean spy commandos, we’ll look for evidence of the spy commando’s infiltration all the way down to the backyard of the Blue House, the Korean presidential residence. In fact, these spy commandos broke through the world’s most heavily fortified border and infiltrated along their southbound route to reach Seoul without being detected. We’ll view a North Korean village from a civilian observation point. At Panmunjom, we’ll visit the conference rooms of the JSA, the Freedom House, and the Bridge of No Return. If there’s extra time, we’ll touch upon the past and future of this divided country with your knowledgeable tour guide, stopping at Imjingak Peace Park near the Imjin River, and at the War Memorial Museum back in Seoul. A unique North Korean style lunch and round-trip transportation by private vehicle are provided.
- Private DMZ tour along a spy commando infiltration route
- Spot the evidence where the North Korean spies crept across the fortified border of the DMZ in 1968
- Stop at an artillery base and observe North Korean village life from a civilian observation post
- Experience Imjingak Peace Park and the War Memorial of Korea at Yongsan, Seoul
- Hear from our informative private guide about historic Korean War sites
- Enjoy a lunch of barbecued duck, a North Korean specialty
- Includes round-trip surface transportation to and from hotel in Seoul by private vehicle
What you can Expect
In the morning, grab your passport and get into our comfortable private transport that takes you to the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) that has divided North and South Korea since the Korean War. En route, your expert guide offers input about the Korean conflict and answers any questions you may have.
After a stop at Imjingak Peace Park, situated on the banks of the Imjin River, continue to an artillery base for a glimpse of war artifacts. Observe an authentic M109 Howitzer and discover how infantry soldiers move the self-propelled armored vehicle each hour.
Next, your guide takes you inside the DMZ to visit an army base where 31 North Korean spy commandos infiltrated the border in 1968. It’s a short walk up to the military observation post where you learn incredible stories about North Korea’s three-day gun battle with the combined South Korean and US Special Forces.
Then we’ll go to a nearby local restaurant which cooks a delicious North Korean–style lunch of barbecued duck (vegetarian meals arranged upon request).
After your meal, we’ll visit a civilian observation point where you can observe a North Korean village through binoculars, while your guide explains the state of life just across the border. On the way back to Seoul, make a stop to look for dozens of bullet traces etched in the surrounding rocks and trees – evidence of the gun battles between North Korean spy commandos and South Korean and US joined forces – this route would be only possible to walk down should weather and time permit.
Your last stop is the War Memorial of Korea at Yongsan, Seoul, a must-see location for anyone interested in Korean War and its associated history. The exhibits of wartime weaponry at this former Korean Infantry headquarters might lead a discussion with your guide about the ramifications of war and peace that will last until you will be dropped off at the doorstep of your hotel.
Please note: This tour operates under strict guidelines. Please visit the Important Information tab below to read about passport requirements, dress code, and other pertinent details.
*The itinerary may differ slightly depending on the day.
Packing List for Korea DMZ Tour (recommended)
- A moderate amount of walking is involved – Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Please send a passport copy at least 4 days prior to your reservation date
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
We use private transportation (car, van, and/or mini-bus) with A/C for this trip.
Your travel provider for this tour: DMZ Spy Tour
DMZ Spy Tour is a well-established Seoul-based tour company founded by Lee Kyung-roon, or Shrek, as he likes to be called. He has a passion for showing foreign guests this interesting piece of Korean history.
Cancellations and Refunds
If you must cancel your reservation for a tour and/or its extension, we will refund your payment, less the following fees per tour and/or extension:
|Days Prior to Trip Start Date||Trip Cancellation Fee Per Person|
|31 – 60 days||50% of trip price|
|0-30 days||100% of trip price|
Request a booking
Send us an email to secure a spot on this tour.