Experience Colombia Tour
In the past decade, Colombia has shaken off its unfavorable reputation, transforming itself from its once unpleasant past to an intriguing travel destination.
As the Colombian tourism board’s tagline has it “Colombia is Magical Realism”. Experience this country for yourself.
- Day 1-2BogotaAfter arriving in Bogota, we’ll help you with the airport transfer to our accommodation. The first day we’ll get you oriented to our new surroundings and enjoy a nice welcome dinner together. The following day we’ll wander around the atmospheric old quarter of La Candelaria and drop in to tour the Coin and Gold Museums.
- Day 3Travel to Coffee CountryToday we’ll fly to the heart of the Zona Cafetera, or Coffee Country. Here we’ll get settled in our accommodation in the pleasant little town of Salento and enjoy a nice dinner together at a local restaurant. Our accommodation is a cozy guesthouse/hostel set on a farm a km or two outside of town with breathtaking views and opportunities to milk the cows (if that’s your idea of a good time). We’ll stay here for the next 3 nights.
- Day 4Valle de CocoraToday we’ll hike through the Valle de Cocora, a gorgeous mountain valley dotted with 60-meter-high wax palms. Half-day or full day hike, your choice. Free and easy evening to enjoy in Salento.
- Day 5Coffee Estate TourSalento and Colombia are famous for coffee and here you’ll visit a small organic coffee finca (estate) to see how the perfect cup of shade-grown coffee is made. Later in the day we’ll have a chance to relax over a cup of coffee, side by side local men and women in one of many charming cafes.
- Day 6Travel to MedellinMost of the day we’ll spend on the bus en-route to the City of Eternal Spring, Medellin. We’ll get settled at our accommodation and head out for a local meal together.
- Day 7Medellin CityLet your heart be charmed by this modern city with a thriving soul, once dubbed the most dangerous in the world, now enjoying a peaceful rebirth. Witness the legacy that Pablo Escobar left behind and take in the incredible sculptures of Fernando Botero. As part of our city orientation, we’ll ride the cable car to visit the infamous comuna (shanty town). If you’re up for it, in the evening go out and party with locals and learn to dance the merengue and salsa.
- Day 8Around AntioquiaToday we head out to the Antioquian countryside to the village of Guatape. Here we’ll stroll around to look at the colorful houses and take lunch. We’ll also get an incredible view from the top of the rock at El Peñol. The evening is yours back in Medellin for further exploration.
- Day 9Flight to CartagenaWe’ll take a morning flight to sultry Cartagena on the Caribbean Coast. We’ll wander through this historic walled city with its atmospheric narrow lanes, beautiful colonial houses, and colorful balconies. The interesting Palacio de Inquisicion is also on the itinerary. Scale the city walls for a sweeping view of Cartagena and watch the sun set over the Caribbean sea. Hang out with locals in the plaza of the laid back neighborhood of Getsemani.
- Day 10Tour EndsToday is the final day. After breakfast, we’ll check out of our accommodation and make our way to the airport unless you’re extending your trip or have made additional plans. You may want an additional day in Cartagena on your own.
Packing List for Experience Colombia trip (recommended)
- Weather in the high elevations of Colombia in August can be cool at night and warm during the day. Pack accordingly.
- Cash (ATMs are not uncommon to find, but it’s always a good idea to carry some cash)
- Remember to pack light; we’ll be using public transportation including domestic airlines and you’ll have to carry your own bag.
The accommodation will mostly be mid-range guesthouses, near or equivalent to 3-star hotels.
We will utilize a variety of transportation on this trip, from city bus in Medellin to domestic flights, to inter-city buses.
Who is this trip for?
This trip will be enjoyable for wide variety of travelers. If you’re a first-time backpacker, first-time South America traveler, or have little independent travel experience; this trip is perfect for you. This trip is ideal for people who want to travel to Colombia but are afraid to travel alone. Also great for those travelers hoping to get a more locally-oriented trip.
Cancellations and Refunds
If you must cancel your reservation for a tour and/or its extension, we will refund your payment, less the following fees per tour and/or extension:
|Days Prior to Trip Start Date||Trip Cancellation Fee Per Person|
|31 – 60 days||50% of trip price|
|0-30 days||100% of trip price|
Request a booking
Send us an email to secure a spot on this tour.