Best of Albania Tour
Experience the best that Albania has to offer: a rich history, culture, insightful museums, gorgeous coastline, soaring mountains and delicious Mediterranean cuisine.
This fast paced tour gives you a great introduction to this long closed and misunderstood country. But it still manages to give you insight into what makes Albanians tick. See for yourself why Albania is one of the fasting growing tourism destinations in Europe.
- Day 1TiranaArrival at “Mother Theresa” International Airport and transfer to Hotel in Tirana. Tirana is located on a plain on the site of a Byzantine fortress and has been the capital since 1920. Here we’ll visit Skanderbeg Square, the Mosque of Ethem Bey (1824), the Clock Tower (1822), the National Museum, and Archeological Museum. Welcome dinner with Albanian Folk Show and return to hotel (Vila Alba Hotel 4*, or similar).
- Day 2Kruja – DurresAfter breakfast, we depart for Kruja, the town of Albania’s most important resistance under the leadership of Gjergj Kastrioti “Scanderbeg”, who in the 15th century successfully fought off the Ottomans for over 25 years. Sightseeing at his castle and the impressive Scanderbeg Museum, Ethnographical Museum, and shopping in the old bazaar will follow. After lunch, we continue to Durres. Durres is one of the oldest cities in the Mediterranean and the largest sea-port in Albania. This busy port city has one of the largest Roman amphitheaters in the Balkans (20,000 spectators). We’ll visit the archeological museum, Venetian tower, and Termi Romani. Accommodation at hotel (Nais 3*, or similar) and overnight.
- Day 3Berat – Apolloni – VloreAfter breakfast, we’ll continue to Berat. One of the oldest inhabited regions of Albania, Berat is more than 2,400 years old and has special status from UNESCO. Visit its castle with Onufri museum and other churches inside, the Mosque of Berat and the old Bridge of Gorica. After lunch, we’ll drive to Apollonia, which was founded in 588 BC and taken by Aristotle as a model in his analysis of oligarchy because of its distinct and separate Illyrian and Greek communities. It was a vital stronghold in Caesar’s civil war with Pompey and also important in early Christian history with its bishop attending the councils of Ephesus and Chlalkis in 431 and 451 AD. We will visit its museum, Shen Meri Monastery and Church. Then we’ll depart to the coastal city of Vlora. Vlora is the city where Albanian independence from Ottomans was proclaimed on November 28th, 1912. Visit to the Museum of Independence, Vlora mosque, and spend the night at Hotel Partner 4* (or similar).
- Day 4SarandaAfter breakfast, we continue to the South of Albania, by making our first “coffee break” at Llogara National Park and enjoying the spectacular views of the mountains and the Albanian Riviera at an altitude of 1020 m above sea level where the Ionian Sea and Corfu Island give us a spectacular view. Drive through the seaside villages of Palase, Dhermi, Himara and Borsh, and Ali Pashe Tepelena Castle. Arrival to Sarande. After our arrival to Sarande we’ll check into our hotel and have lunch. Then we’ll visit the ancient ruins of Butrint city, Albania’s most important archaeological site. Butrint dates from the 7th century BC, later becoming a Roman colony, then falling under the sway of the Venetians and Turks. Virgil claimed that the Trojans settled Butrint, but no evidence of this has yet been found. Within a century of the Greeks arriving, Butrint had become a fortified trading city with its own acropolis, the ruins of which we can still visit. The rediscovered city is a microcosm of almost 3,000 years of Mediterranean history, and its 6th century BC fortification evokes the city’s military power and symbolizes the rich culture of the once thriving ancient city. Exploration of the amphitheater, Venetian tower, mosaic, lion gate, etc. We will return to our hotel (Brilant Hotel 4*, or similar) and overnight in Saranda. (Option) Possibilities for shopping and dinner at the Lekuresi Fortress in Saranda with great views of the bay of Saranda and the Island of Corfu.
- Day 5Gjirokaster – TiraneAfter breakfast, we leave Saranda, visit the extraordinary Blue Eye National Park, then continue to the “Museum City” of Gjirokastra. City tour, visit to the castle and Armaments Museum. After lunch, we’ll continue to Tirana. Arrival to Tirana and accommodation at hotel (Vila Alba Hotel 4*, or similar). Possibilities for shopping and enjoying the night life in Tirana “Famous Ex-Bllok area”.
- Day 6DepartureTransfer to “Mother Teresa” International Airport for departure from Tirana. End of services.
Packing List for Albania trip (recommended)
- Check weather conditions for the time of year you are traveling and pack appropriately. Albania has a Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters in the lowlands.
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Money belt
- Cash (credit cards are sometimes accepted and ATMs are easy to find in most cities, but it’s always a good idea to carry some cash)
- Remember to pack light; you’ll be responsible for carrying your own luggage.
The accommodation will be mostly 4* hotels (and one 3*) as listed. Albanian tourism has developed only in the past 20 years, so all hotels are relatively new.
Prices assume itinerary is purchased “as is”. Minor changes to hotels or hotel add-ons to the beginning or the end of the existing itinerary can be made at no extra charge. Prices are shown in Euro and may or may not include administrative fees, taxes, meals, airfare (where applicable) and Single Supplements. Cancellation penalties, blackout dates and other restrictions may apply.
SALES CONDITIONS: Payment: 100% payment at time of booking confirmation. €137 Single Supplement. €73 Tripple Reduction. Infants 0-1.99 years, 25% of tour cost (sharing bed with parents). Children 2-11.99 years, 50% of tour cost (sharing room with parents in extra bed).
CANCELATION POLICIES: From 21 – 15 days before arrival of clients: Cancellation fee of 25% of total amount From 14 – 7 days before arrival of clients: Cancellation fee of 75% of total amount From 6 days before arrival of clients: Cancellation fee of 100% of total amount No Shows: 100%
Your travel provider for this tour: Albania Explorer is a local tour provider based in Tirana, Albania. They specialize in providing travelers the best travel experiences in Albania, the Balkans, Central & South East Europe.